Monday, August 4, 2008

Egg tarts


Egg tarts that I baked. Not that nice looking but according to my chief tasters, tasted nice! The egg filling look kind of pale compared to what you get from the bakery because I did not use any yellow colouring.

I think the easiest way to make short crust pastry is by using the food processor. I remember years ago watching Chef Wan demonstrating on tv on how to make pastry by using the food processor. But last weekend I use the kitchen machine, as I was too lazy to fish out the food processor from the cupboard. And, finally after quite a few years, i got to try out my pastry cutter.

Ingredients for the sweet short crust pastry
250 g flour
125 g butter
60 g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp cold water

Method :
1) Using the K beater, mix the butter, icing sugar and flour together until like breadcrumbs.
2) Add in egg yolk, vanilla and cold water and mix together.
3) Shape into a ball and chill in fridge for about 30 mins.

Ingredients for egg tart filling :
3 eggs
120 g sugar, dissolved in 250 ml of hot water and cooled.
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp of custard powder (the original recipe call for yellow coloring but I substituted with custard powder, which I think tasted better)

Method:
1) Add eggs, vinegar, vanilla and custard powder to sugar mixture. Beat lightly.
2) Roll out pastry between two sheets of plastic sheets and cut into rounds.
3) Place pastry rounds into patty tins, and pour in egg mixture until 3/4 full.
4) Bake at 180 deg. C for 15 - 20 mins. until egg sets.

No comments: