Monday, July 28, 2008
Baking lessons with Andrea - Peach Jelly Cake
Andrea was home for the summer holidays, and wanted to try her hand at baking. So last weekend she made a Peach Jelly cake and an Oreo Cheese Cake. She did the actual baking like measuring out the ingredients and doing the mixing and baking, while I just help out by telling her what to do and the method. The cakes turn out rather nice and successful especially for a newbie at baking. We also tried our hands at making a key lime pie, but the lime filling did not set very well, though the sweet pie pastry tasted very nice. I am going to use the sweet pastry to make egg tarts this weekend. Have yet to try out my new pastry cutter which have been lying in my drawer for a few years.
We decided to use sponge mix, as it was the easier and fail proof method. Baking sponge cakes using sponge mix is fail proof, but it tastes rather bland unless I make up the cake with whip cream or chocolate ganache or like here where we use agar-agar and peaches.
Ingredients for the sponge cake :
250 g sponge mix
5 eggs (grd A)
3 tbsp cold water
60 g melted butter
Method for sponge cake :
1) Whip sponge mix and eggs until creamy. Add in cold water. Continue whipping until thick and fluffy.
2) Fold in melted butter.
3) Pour mixture into 9" dia. cake tin, and bake in 180 deg C oven for 35 mins until done.
4) Cool, and cut into two layers. Use 1 layer only.
For the agar-agar layer :
290 ml fresh milk
20 g sugar
2 tsp agar-agar powder
2 egg whites
30 g sugar
1) Put agar-agar powder, sugar and fresh milk to boil.
2) Beat egg whites and sugar until fluffy, while still beating add in the agar-agar mixture.
3) Place sponge cake into a 9" dia. spring form tin.
4) Pour agar-agar mixture onto sponge cake. Place cake into refrigerator to set.
For the Peach Layer :
400 ml water
125 g sugar
20 g instant jelly.
1 can peaches
1) When agar-agar mixture has set, score surface with a fork.
2) Arrange peaches on top of cake.
3) Boil instant jelly, sugar and water until clear. Cool slightly
4) Pour instant jelly mixture on top of the peaches, and leave to cool and set in the fridge.
You don't necessarily have to use peaches. You can also use fruit cocktail or canned pineapples.