Finally, got back to baking another cake. This time, it is a double chocolate mousse cake.
Ingredients for the chocolate sponge cake :
5 egg yolks
5 egg white
120 g sugar
120 g flour
10 g cocoa powder
60 g cooking chocolate
60 g butter
1) Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
2) Whip egg yolks until fluffy. Set aside.
3) Whip egg white and sugar until thick and fluffy.
4) Fold in sifted flour and cocoa powder.
5) Fold in melted chocolate mixture.
6) Pour into 9" dia. base lined cake tin.
7) Bake at 180 deg. C for 30 minutes.
8) When cooked, remove immediately and cool.
Ingredients for white chocolate mousse
9 g gelatin powder
45 g water
1 egg yolk
50 g fresh milk
80 g white chocolate
135 g whipping cream
1) Mix gelatin powder and water and set aside for 5 minutes. Melt over hot simmering water
2) Melt white chocolate over hot simmering water. Set aside.
3) Whisk whipping cream until fluffy and set aside.
4) Whisk egg yolk and fresh milk over hot simmering water. Add in melted gelatin and mix thoroughly. Add in melted chocolate and mix till smooth.
5) Fold in whipped cream.
6) Place sponge cake in 9" dia. spring form cake tin.
7) Pour in the white chocolate mixture on top of the chocolate cake. Chill.
Ingredients for chocolate mousse
10 g gelatin
50 g water
100 g dark cooking chocolate
1 tsp cocoa
50 g sugar
100 g milk
2 egg yolks
150 g whipping cream
1) Mix gelatin and water and set aside for 5 minutes. Melt over hot simmering water.
2) Melt cocoa and cooking chocolate over hot simmering water. Set aside.
3) Whisk whipping cream until fluffy. Set aside.
4) Whisk egg yolks and sugar until dissolved. Add in milk, and whisk over hot simmering water.
5) Add in melted gelatin mixture and stir thoroughly. Add in melted chocolate mixture and mix till smooth. Fold in whipped cream.
6) Pour dark chocolate mixture over the white chocolate mixture.
7) Chill for at least 3 hours.
8) Blow a hairdryer lightly around the cake tin so that the mousse cake can be removed smoothly. Serve.
Double chocolate mousse cake. Did not use a hairdryer, so the edge is not that nice and smooth. (lazy to go up to my room to get the hairdryer)
Note : Sieve some cocoa powder over the cake before serving. Forgot about the cocoa powder until it was too late, and I had cut up the cake!